Lots of interesting technology has been implemented in the latest Arista switches based on the Cavium Xpliant ASICs.
Forwarding table profiles
- Allows efficient use of common resources
- Higher maximum scale
- Small segment size for more combinations
- Up to 448K logical resources available
Example Profiles include
- Balanced – general Leaf and Spine
- Large Hosts – L2 Overlay VXLAN
- Large Routing – DC Leaf-Spine 7160 Flexible Profiles
- Large ARP / Host scale – Education & Hospitality
- Same system used in multiple scenarios
- Achieve higher scale with no wasted capacity
- Avoid scale limits associated with fixed systems
- Efficient resource usage lowers power
I’ve attached the press deck I received that explains these features and the marketing video. Whichever works for you.