Network Field Day 3
I’ll blog as much as I can here from the session and you can watch the live stream with uStream widget below.
I’m always interested in Network operations and I’m find that a lot of companies are using Solarwinds.
Request for RADIUS/TACACS authentication.
Discussions around the scaling performance, using the Pollers, still focussing on MS SQL server and asserting that MS SQL performance us good enough.
- NEC Motivation for programmable networks.
- programmable networks = OpenFlow
- We would want a network infrastructure that can be defined by an external software than delivers the automation that we will need for the future data centre.
- 2nd generation of switching hardware increases the number of fully extended flow entries to 56000 entries. That’s a significant increase for a 48 port 1GbE with 4 x10 GbE,
- still a number of questions around the scalability of flow tables at two levels. Flow table size and the flow table update rate.
- People are still struggling to understand the application of OpenFlow.
- Arista is targeting the data centre only.
- Not aiming to compete in other areas of the Ethernet market.
- That focus allows for differences in approach.
- Extensible software allows for custom apps to be developed.
- Extensible software allows for useful features – Doug listed a lot of good ideas, it’s worth wathcing the video for the use cases that he describes and how they worked.
- The FPGA product is quite amazing – it’s a whole different way to approach