Typical motivation for consolidation is to
- reduce competition,
- increases scale/volume to reduce production costs,
- increase market shares
- increases profits
Examples are when a large company buys its competitors to take them out of the market. Consolidation only happens in mature markets where innovation has stalled.
Compare this with convergence which I perceive as technology-centric or production and result of progress in software development and hardware manufacture.
- switching and routing functions converge in to a single device
- Ethernet as the only Layer 2 networking protocol.
- IPv4/IPv6 as the only Layer 3 networking protocol
- convergence on HTTPS is the dominant application protocol
- convergence of hypervisors into orchestration systems such as OpenStack, SCVVM, or verbalise
- SANs replaced by distributed storage software on commoditity hardware.
and so on.