In a previous post, I covered how to create a shape that would create a type of 3D effect. You can read that article on Drawing a Background Shapehere.
It’s also worth looking at why you want to do this in “On the Art of Network Diagrams and Presentation” and see the full diagram we are trying to put together.
The problem with large shape on your diagram is that it keeps “getting in the way”. As you add other shapes it seems that you are always selecting the wrong element.
Shape Protection – Simple Method
The easiest way to solve the problem is to “lock” the shape that is in the background. Right click on the object and Format, Protection:
And you will have a list of options. I usually just select “All” and OK.
Just select OK for this.
And now when you select the object, the handles are grey (not green blocks) and you cannot move the shape.
This should make it easier to “draw over the top” of the background shapes.
There are better ways to do this, but this is a fast and easily explained solution and will work for most people.
If you have any suggestions or tips, don’t hesitate to send them in. I always have something to learn. Go to my contact page and send me some stuff.
Other Posts in This Series
- Free Custom Handwriting Font for Network Designs (14th August 2014)
- Network Diagrams: Font Selection and Production Context. Choosing Slab or Thin fonts (9th June 2014)
- Book Release: Tips on Using Visio To Make Network Diagrams (27th March 2014)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing Overlay Network Layers (14th March 2014)
- Network Diagrams: Choosing Better and Free Fonts (10th January 2014)
- My New Diagram Colour Scheme "Old Disco Style" (24th September 2013)
- On Diagrams and Information (10th September 2013)
- Colour Blindness, Network Diagrams and Reliability (3rd March 2011)
- Designer or Engineer, Artist or Painter (19th January 2010)
- Network Diagrams: Rotating Text on a Line (1st October 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Tips for Printing from Visio (22nd September 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Zones on a diagram with Visio shape union (31st July 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing complex VLAN Networks with IP Addressing (7th July 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing Freehand Curves (and then fixing them) (23rd March 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Aligning Shapes (12th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Locking the Background Shape (10th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Labelling an VLAN/IP Segment (9th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: VLANs and IP Subnets (8th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing the Background Shape (6th March 2009)
- On the Art of Network Diagrams and Presentation (4th March 2009)