Draw a line freehand…. yeah its gonna look bad
Select the Freeform tool from menu bar:
Make your best attempt at drawing a nice curve while using a mouse. Yeah, right, drawing with a mouse is specialist skill ….
Now try to get it as close as possible to the connection point on the object on the right.
So now you have a line that looks something like this:
Deleting Freeform points
The line has a number of green dots with crosses. Lets delete the points on the line that are causing it to deviate. Position your cursor over the a point and click to select (the cursor will change to crosshairs when you are above the point):
And now press the delete key to remove the point. Visio will recalculate the Bezier curve and straighten it up.
Lets move some points around
So our line isn’t quite in the shape that we want. We can select and move the points around until the line is in the shape that we want:
And now you have a proper looking line. The freehand tool has a couple of other possibilities that can make it even more useful and I think I will save them for another blog post.
Other Posts in This Series
- Free Custom Handwriting Font for Network Designs (14th August 2014)
- Network Diagrams: Font Selection and Production Context. Choosing Slab or Thin fonts (9th June 2014)
- Book Release: Tips on Using Visio To Make Network Diagrams (27th March 2014)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing Overlay Network Layers (14th March 2014)
- Network Diagrams: Choosing Better and Free Fonts (10th January 2014)
- My New Diagram Colour Scheme "Old Disco Style" (24th September 2013)
- On Diagrams and Information (10th September 2013)
- Colour Blindness, Network Diagrams and Reliability (3rd March 2011)
- Designer or Engineer, Artist or Painter (19th January 2010)
- Network Diagrams: Rotating Text on a Line (1st October 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Tips for Printing from Visio (22nd September 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Zones on a diagram with Visio shape union (31st July 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing complex VLAN Networks with IP Addressing (7th July 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing Freehand Curves (and then fixing them) (23rd March 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Aligning Shapes (12th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Locking the Background Shape (10th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Labelling an VLAN/IP Segment (9th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: VLANs and IP Subnets (8th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing the Background Shape (6th March 2009)
- On the Art of Network Diagrams and Presentation (4th March 2009)