I am working with a client that has a rather unique problem and I’m looking for help on the possible solution.
For unusual, but practical, reasons there is a need to deploy three SDN solutions.
- VMware Integrated OpenStack with NSX
- Mirantis OpenStack with OpenContrail
- BGP-EVPN for existing and future
What I need help with is the stitching these different overlays together so that high bandwidth (>500Gbps), low latency (<5ms) data can flow in between virtual and physical networks.
There is no alignment to a hardware vendor and will buy whatever hardware can meet the requirements based on its software features.
- I know that each of these solution supports VXLAN overlay and can be terminated (VTEP) in hardware. But which hardware ? What operating systems ? What protocols are used for any given hardware/software platform ?
- What is the configuration of the VTEP devices and can they be integrated into an orchestration (self-developed) ? What APIs are used to configure the VTEP instances ?
- What are the performance considerations around VTEP ?
- Is is practical to stitch a BGP-EVPN physical underlay to an SDN overlay such as NSX or OpenContrail ?
I would be interested in talking to anyone who could offer advice and input on any of these topics. Please contact me by email or leave a comment below and we can setup a conference call to discuss. Depending on your position, we could also a record a podcast on the topic – I think this will something that many people will face in the years ahead.