During a recent client engagement I was asked to explain the different options around whitebox Ethernet products. I drew up this diagram to explain how I see four different categories of Ethernet switches emerging in to the market.
- There are four broad categories of Ethernet switch emerging in the market.
- The Vendor Product is the dominant product today and widely used. This is the current market position.
- Whitebox enables new market category of software-only networking vendors to sell operating systems for standardised Ethernet switches.
- Whitebox plus Vendor support creates new market opportunity (Juniper and HP).
- There are customers and use cases for all of these solutions.
Other Posts in A Series On The Same Topic
- Three Questions on Network Switch & Operating System Disaggregation (9th June 2015)
- Commodity Manufacture is the Majority of Switch Products (24th March 2015)
- Four Different Types of Ethernet & Whitebox Products (24th March 2015)