Collection of useful, relevant or inane places on the the Internets for 6 Apr 11:
- Cisco Blog ª Blog Archive ª Message from John Chambers: Where Cisco is Taking the Network -Uncle john sent a memo to staff, †that is now publicly released after it leaked out, †admitting that Cisco has made mistakes and needs to change strategy.
- It also appears to be warning that there will be job cuts, or sales.
- It took Uncle John more than a year to realise his strategy was broken. And now we get a mea culpa. This memo that went to Cisco employees seems to admit that big changes are coming to Cisco. It’s been a wild ride, but if Cisco can come back to looking after customers, will we fall back in love ? Or is the damage permanent ?
- Also, note that Uncle’s John plan has failed after he personally took Cisco to this strategy. It will be tough to admit failure and people will be calling for him resign.
- Cisco: What Went Wrong and What Needs to Be Fixed: Cloud Computing News ´ –
So proprietary may be acceptable in an area where Cisco has a huge market share, but in consumer and telepresence ó where it is trying to build users and adoption ó it forgot that a key tenet of creating a platform is either making it incredibly usable and or incredibly open. Cisco tends to favor closed ecosystems but unlike Apple, itís consumer products donít have the same usability or cachet. So this refocusing of Ciscoís on five priorities that include core routing and switching; collaboration; cloud computing; network architectures and video is good news for the most part
Interesting views. Broadly, I don’t agree with the writer but this is certainly true “Cisco tends to favor closed ecosystems”.
- Domains Used in RSA Attack Taunted U.S. ó Krebs on Security –
Some of the domain names on that list suggest that the attackers had (or wanted to appear to have) contempt for the United States. Among the domains used in the attack (extra spacing is intentional in the links below, which should be considered hostile):
A partial list of the domains used in the attack on RSA
www usgoodluck .com
obama .servehttp .com
prc .dynamiclink .ddns .us
Oh dear. Here’s hoping it wasn’t kids who hacked RSA, because then they really will be in deep trouble. If it was some government then at least they could claim they were real hackers.
- Rant: Hey Cisco ñ Your Website Still Blows – In the comments on my own blog post:
*BREAKING NEWS*: We are removing the toolbar forever in mid April. [You heard it here first on EtherealMind.] In the meantime, you can collapse the toolbar by clicking on that arrow and it will go away until you delete your cookies. Itís a long story about why it took a while to rip it out of the web site, but suffice it to say that web sites can be complicated underneath. Iíll blog about the toolbar story sometime in the future.
I’m bloody well watching for the toolbar to go away. It continues to annoy me and I call it “festering pustule”. I believe it will disappear on April 15 – hoo-bloody-ray.
- tap tap tap ~ 10 more useful iPhone tips & tricks – And …. then you learn something new.
enabling and using caps lock
accessing extra keys while typing
locking / shutting down / forcing quit / resetting
Home button options (obsolete with iOS 4)
Someone thought of all sorts of things in the iPhone UI. All useful tricks.