This is good news. Big Switch has contributed Open Network Linux to Open Compute Project and been accepted as the standard operating system for whitebox Ethernet.
- Customers now have a number of choices for operating system for theirwhitebox switches. I know of the following:
- Open Network Linux
- Cumulus Linux
- PicOS from Pica8
- This is base on which open source can build basic functionality for network switches.
- This isn’t for everyone. Its your choice to go this way.
- Big Switch have made a significant contribution to open source and should be recognised for this.
- The trend to commoditisation of Ethernet networking continues to progress slowly.
Big Switch Networks, the company bringing hyperscale networking to data centers worldwide, today announced that the Open Compute Project (OCP) has formally accepted Big Switch’s contribution of Open Network Linux (ONL) as its reference Network Operating System (NOS). ONL is a Linux-based open source network operating system to bare-metal and branded white-box (“brite box”) switches.