From the EtherealMind Network Dictionary
1. Terminology used by sales representative to refer to high level of quality and overall excellence in this product, as in “it wasn’t built on the cheap”. Sometimes even meant honestly.
2. Term that refers to the eye watering cost of the product or solution, often for the benefit of the manufacturer or reseller.
3. For very large companies, a mandatory requirement for any IT project, as anything cheap is inherently and obviously valueless.
But for John Chambers, CEO of Cisco, in a recent article on Reuters
4. Q: What about the middle point about the Cisco price premium? They call it the Cisco tax, that people pay a big Cisco tax.
A: Well, that’s a little bit unfair. Do we come down Moore’s Law at tremendous speed? The answer is yes. As long as you do that, customers don’t have a problem with you making a premium, because if you don’t make a premium, you don’t develop new products. You don’t protect their investment. They’ve all been through that.
What does that mean ?
I’m calling it.
Other Posts in A Series On The Same Topic
- Poster: How To Make a Single Pane of Glass (22nd January 2015)
- My Review of 2014. Who Cares ? (31st December 2014)
- Poster: Life Dashboard (10th October 2014)
- Poster: Network Visibility Dual State Diagram (14th May 2014)
- Poster: Only Two Problems With IP Routing (5th May 2014)
- Poster: Network Safety Starts With You (21st April 2014)
- Poster: Manager, Engineer, Architect, ITIL Consultant (12th March 2013)
- Poster: Keep Calm, Do Networks Everywhere (21st November 2012)
- Poster: Cloud Price Negotiations (6th April 2012)
- Poster: Cloud Kittens (21st February 2012)
- Poster: The Eight Levels of Vendor Acceptance (30th September 2011)
- Poster - Cisco VPN Client Licensing (13th August 2011)
- Poster: Servers, Tablets. Just Desktops and Printers to Go. (21st January 2011)
- Cisco and their Security Strategy (3rd July 2010)
- Poster - Reassuringly Expensive (3rd July 2010)
- Cisco Borderless Networks Motivational Marketing Poster (24th March 2010)