The Zen Network Master was meditating over his network, at oneness with the Flow. He became aware that a change was needed.
The Master called the Student to him and said: “Please fetch me a switch”.
The Student said “A switch, Master ? That is quickly done” and went to fetch a switch.
Shortly, the Student returned and presented the switch to the Master. The Master smiled and shook his head. “This is not the switch I need”. The Student was mystified. Had he not brought a switch for the Master ?
And the Master spoke “You must realise that all things have a purpose, and the purpose defines the function needed. Therefore, you must always understand your task before you start work. Ask how and why and you shall know”.
And the Student was enlightened.
Other posts in the series
- Network ZEN: The Same Problem can Seem Different
- Network ZEN - Frames or Packet
- Network Zen - The Flow may only be seen when it is not present.
- Network Zen - Standardisation and Failure
- Network Zen - Standardisation
- Network ZEN - Storage traffic isn't so Important
- Network ZEN: A Switch (This post)
- Network ZEN: OSPF or EIGRP
- Network ZEN: Management or Monitoring
- Network ZEN: Stackable or Chassis Switches