Yesterday I covered how to create a simple Visio object that you can use to display a network segment for VLANs or IP subnet which would be useful for a high level or overview type diagram.
Lets assume that we now need to turn this object into something that we can use on a daily basis. That is, we want to add the following details:
- VLAN name
- VLAN number
- IP Subnet
- VRF name
The first step is to select the segment and Double Click. This will take you into the text mode:
Lets enter some text for the VLAN number and IP subnet:
This isn’t very useful because the visual part of the line is lost. So double click the text again, and press the enter key to insert a new line.
Now we need to make the line “come through”. By default, Visio inserts the text block with a solid background…we can change that by right clicking the line and select Format, Text,
Now, go Text Block and set the Text Background to be ‘None’ and press OK.
So now our segment object looks like:
When you are in an MPLS network, or need a description, then use the second line to put some more information.
In most diagrams, I would always use the font Arial Narrow so that I can get more text in less space. There is never enough space in a Visio diagram. Check the difference in this graphic.
Again, because this is a single element (not a combined object) it will line up on the grid, select more efficiently and be easier to use.
Other Posts in A Series On The Same Topic
- Network Diagrams: Font Selection and Production Context. Choosing Slab or Thin fonts (9th June 2014)
- Book Release: Tips on Using Visio To Make Network Diagrams (27th March 2014)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing Overlay Network Layers (14th March 2014)
- Network Diagrams: Choosing Better and Free Fonts (10th January 2014)
- My New Diagram Colour Scheme "Old Disco Style" (24th September 2013)
- On Diagrams and Information (10th September 2013)
- Colour Blindness, Network Diagrams and Reliability (3rd March 2011)
- Designer or Engineer, Artist or Painter (19th January 2010)
- Network Diagrams: Rotating Text on a Line (1st October 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Tips for Printing from Visio (22nd September 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Zones on a diagram with Visio shape union (31st July 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing complex VLAN Networks with IP Addressing (7th July 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing Freehand Curves (and then fixing them) (23rd March 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Aligning Shapes (12th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams:Locking the Background Shape (10th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Labelling an VLAN/IP Segment (9th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: VLANs and IP Subnets (8th March 2009)
- Network Diagrams: Drawing the Background Shape (6th March 2009)
- On the Art of Network Diagrams and Presentation (4th March 2009)