I’ve just been reading this articles on Forbes.com Chambers Challenged – Forbes.com. I also note that the A/B alternate headline was “Does Cisco Systems Have a John Chambers Problem?”
There are a few things that I think are worth noting about this.
- it’s Forbes Magazine, one of the most serious media vehicles around.
- when did you ever hear of John Chambers leadership being questioned in the press.
- it’s a two page heavily researched piece that points out all of Cisco’s business failings.
- Cisco isn’t being successful on everything it touches, and doesn’t have a good past record for being successful with acquisitions (some notable success, and some big failures). And it’s explicitly referring to Flip Digital, Linksys, Scientific Atlanta but there are many more failed acquisitions among the successful ones.
- The numbers aren’t good. Don’t let one success around Unified Computing hide the problems in other business units.
The EtherealMind View
For those people who think I’m overly critical of Cisco, perhaps this will help you realise that it’s a wider issue, it’s not just me. Cisco is having some tough times, and I’m a customer who is experiencing some of those problems acutely. However, my career is more or less linked to Cisco and it’s relative success. I’m in a career partnership with Cisco and as their business fails, so does mine.
From that point of view, I want Cisco to do better and I’ll be judging them critically as a partner and customer until they do.