Collection of useful, relevant or inane places on the the Internets for 3 Jan 11:
- InterOperability Laboratory: Services: Testing: Ethernets: Fast Ethernet: Knowledge Base – Lessons in Auto-Negotiation
- Understanding Inter-Area Loop Prevention Caveats in OSPF Protocol | CCIE Blog – Very detailed look into loop prevention is OSPF. Petr is well known for his detailed research at INE. I regard this as a must read.
- Parents Guide to Facebook –
Welcome to A Parents' Guide to Facebook (PDF). It’s designed to help you understand what Facebook is and how to use it safely. With it, you will be better informed and able to communicate with young Facebook users in your life more effectively. That's important because 1) if something goes wrong, we want our children to come to us and 2) as the Internet becomes increasingly social and mobile, a parent’s guidance and support are ever more key to young people’s well-being in social media and technology.
For the people in your life we are not …. skilled.
- La virtualisation du Data Center | NetworkLife – Benoit Goncalves is starting his Master Thesis on Data Center Virtualisation and wants some advice on where to start researching. Feel free to help him out.
- Skype – The Big Blog – CIO update: Post-mortem on the Skype outage – Skype CIO talks about what went wrong with their 'cloud' :
1) software updates were faultly and aggressively pushed to users. 2) Not enough network management and operational capability. 3) Not enough infrastructure to cope with load. That sounds exactly like the problems that could occur on a cloud provider. Cut a few corners and FOOM, it's gone.