Collection of useful, relevant or inane places on the the Internets for 1 Mar 11:
- Gmail back soon for everyone – Official Gmail Blog –
To protect your information from these unusual bugs, we also back it up to tape. Since the tapes are offline, theyíre protected from such software bugs. But restoring data from them also takes longer than transferring your requests to another data center, which is why itís taken us hours to get the email back instead of milliseconds.
Now, EMC has been telling us that tape is dead. Maybe not, eh ?
- SeaMicro drops 64-bit Atom bomb server ï The Register –
Cramming 512 cores of any kind into a 10U space along with storage and networking to support those nodes is not an easy task, no matter what chip architecture you are using.
IMHO, This is the future of the cloud, not VMware. Distributed software processing FTW.
- Get Rid of the Smiley J Problem Caused by Microsoft Office Applications –
Actually, the missing font is Wingdings, the wacky images font that offered a bit of novelty for early Word users but is functionally kind of useless. Pirillo solves the problem on his system by simply telling his Office applications to automatically replace “:)” with a unicode smiley face characteróspecifically this one: ?. The process in Outlook, for example, goes like this:
Just the sort of thing that Microsoft does to annoy their customers.
- Why I donít like pure UC and VoIP niche | PacketFactory.info – Oleg has a similar view to mine about VoIP. It’s not networking, it’s server admin.
- HP Blogs – RSA review: Ciscoís Oscar-worthy performance with … – The HP Blog Hub –
I have healthy respect for Cisco, but upon hearing about its new SecureX security architecture, it really makes me wonder what the heck is happening down on Tasman drive? (For those of you that donít know, Cisco pretty much owns all the buildings down along Tasman Drive in San Jose, CA.)
I agree. WTF is “SecureX” ? I’ve asked Cisco to come and talk about it, but they aren’t even returning emails.
- Twitter / @Tom Hollingsworth: I’m going to have my wife … –
I’m going to have my wife make me a blanket from some ‘fabric’ with ‘clouds’ printed in it. I’ll call it my Buzzword Security Blanket.
I want one fo these. Anyone know how we could make this happen ?
- YouTube – Cat Laser Bowling – Cat, Laser Pointer, plastic cups. Funny.